1. Method – Using Envato Toolkit plugin
I hope you have provided your account information in Envato Toolkit plugin. If you go to the plugin page, you’ll see similar to following image. Let’s click on Update automatically link at right bottom. This is a most efficienat and easy way to integrate latest verion on your site.
2. Method – Using regular methods
Usually updating a theme means replacing the old files with the new ones. You can see changelog.txt file from the new download archive and you can get updated files list as modified/added and deleted. Upload and overwrite those files on your theme directory.
If theme changed lots of files and you really hard to collect changed files, there is a better way to do it when it comes to WordPress themes.
WordPress treats two version of the same theme as different themes. That is, if you have Brave v1.2 and v1.3 in your wp-content/themes folder they are treated as two different themes independent of each other.
That means you can have multiple version of the same theme installed on your blog. So whenever there is a new version of your theme available, instead of replacing or deleting the files of the older version follow this procedure.
- Try to upload new theme archive to the site
- If the folder name of the new version clashes with the old version, rename the folder of new version.
- Upload the new version to your wp-content/themes folder via FTP or through the interface provided by your web host or by using the upload feature in WordPress.
- Activate the new version from your dashboard.
The main advantage of following the above procedure is you can quickly switch back to the old version of the theme if you find any problems with the new version or if it clashes with any plugins you are using.